Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mountains

I am not a hill runner.

Never have been.

I have gone out of my way to avoid them.  Until I signed up for the Mt. Washington Road Race lottery and got in.

So, now I need to train on hills, or more specifically, mountains.

I joined some friends at a local mountain Saturday afternoon (yes, a few hours after a 5K race).  The auto road is about a half mile section with an average grade of 10%.

I have not run mountains, I don't hike, I've never been up to the top of a mountain.  Ever.  In my life.  I'm a city girl.

So, in my mind, I've had no idea what I am in for.  My first trip up Mt. Agamenticus was an eye opener.  I couldn't believe I would be doing that for 7.6 miles.  The view from the top was pretty, but really?  Wow, I was in trouble and really needed focus on training.

My second trip up was better and my fastest.  By our third trip, my legs were toast and I just wanted to quit.  But, I made it up to the top and enjoyed the view.  I will be adding mountain running to my weekly schedule because....I don't want to die on Mt. Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment