Wednesday, November 18, 2015

One Layer, Two Layers, Three Layers, More!

As much as I hate to admit it, winter running has arrived. I hate cold, but I hate treadmills even more. So, what's a runner to do?

Layer up, of course!  Unfortunately, I'm about as good at judging appropriate weather gear as I am with reading elevation maps. (Just ask around, it's not my forte.)

I am always cold.  Always.  It was 28 degrees when I headed out for my run this evening and I was cold inside my house.  So, I put on my Powercore Base Layer, a long sleeve tech shirt and, at the last minute, a 1/4 zip pullover-- all underneath my windbreaker. Add in some mittens and a hat and I was still freezing as I stepped outside. (Oh, and I was wearing my tights as well--lest you think I ran without pants. I'm not that kinda girl). 

I froze the first half mile and then suddenly, I was sweating and miserable.  Surprise!  Too many layers!  I've read all the advice on how to choose layers, but I can't stand being cold at the beginning of a run (or any time really).    So, I ignore the advice, put on too many layers, and then complain about being hot part way into my run.  If you would rather dress appropriately, take some advice from the Canadians

No comments:

Post a Comment