Monday, November 2, 2015

Mental hurdles

I'm running a half marathon on Saturday.  While I have been preaching conservatism in my runs, I took a calculated risk this weekend.  I know that I should be building up mileage slowly to prevent injury.  But, let's face it: I just started training for this half marathon about a month ago.  That doesn't really leave a lot of time to move slowly.

Yesterday, I did a 10 mile run.  From an injury risk point of view, I should not have done the run.  It was/is risky.  Can by body handle it?  Will it cause a flare up at the worst possible time?  But, on the flip side, I needed to know I could make it.  I needed to work on my fueling strategy.  I needed to get to 10 miles.  So, I did.

And now, I wait.  I assess every tightness.  Every twinge.  Every step.  Was it worth it?  I'll know on Saturday.

I am a whole hot mess of emotion right now. This will be my first race since the failed marathon attempt 10 months ago.  So, all those race jitters are starting.  Without having done many long runs, I feel unprepared mentally (and physically).  To add to the stress, this race is at Disney.  All the emotions of the DNF are bubbling up once again. 

But, this is a race I've never run.  On a different course than the marathon.  A completely different experience.  The start line is my mental hurdle, and I will get over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment